Buckwheat, Hemp & Nori Crackers
These crunchy crackers from our FREE Guide to Health Snacking eBook are perfect on their own but also make for a wholesome accompaniment to homemade dips. We’ve opted for a combination of buckwheat flour and almond meal, which are both low on the glycemic index and impart a subtle nutty flavour. Hemp seeds contain polyunsaturated fatty acids, such as gamma-linolenic acid, which have been shown to reduce skin dryness, while the addition of nori—a type of seaweed that’s rich in vitamin B12—adds a surprising twist.
- 1½ cups (220g) buckwheat flour
- ½ cup (50g) almond meal
- ½ cup (65g) hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- ½ cup (125ml) cold water, plus extra for brushing
- ¼ cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 nori sheets
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Line two large baking trays with baking paper.
- Combine the buckwheat flour, almond meal, hemp seeds, flaxseed and salt in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Add the water and oil and stir to form a rough dough. Rub with fingers to ensure the mixture binds together. Add a little additional cold water, ½ teaspoon at a time, if required.
- Turn out onto a clean bench and shape to form a disc and cut into quarters. Working with one quarter at a time, roll out between two sheets of baking paper, until 2-3mm thick. Cover the remaining dough with a damp cloth, to prevent drying out.
- Using scissors or a sharp knife, cut the nori sheets into thin strips. Scatter one-quarter of the nori over the dough and gently roll over the top to secure.
- Cut dough into your desired cracker shape. A 6.5cm round cookie cutter works well, but you can also cut into rectangles or triangles using a sharp knife. Arrange close together on one of the prepared trays. Lightly brush with water and sprinkle with salt. Repeat with the remaining dough portions and nori, re-rolling any off cuts with the next dough portion as you go.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until crisp and cracker bases are golden brown. Leave on trays to cool.
- Serve with dips and spreads. Store in an airtight container in your pantry for up to 2 weeks.