This flavoursome anti-inflammatory soup is a quick and easy one-pot dish full of nourishing vegetables and broth. Fennel boasts calming and anti-spasmodic properties and is wonderful for digestive health. And the herbs aren’t just there to brighten the dish – basil contains powerful plant compounds including eugenol, citronellol and linalool that have been shown to help reduce gut inflammation...
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small or medium fennel bulb, trimmed, thickly sliced, fronds reserved
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 450g (about 3 medium) zucchini (courgettes), thickly sliced
- 2 handfuls basil
- 2 handfuls mint
- 1⁄1 litre (4 cups) homemade Vegetarian Broth or chicken Bone Broth, or store-bought stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus zest to serve
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- extra-virgin olive oil, to serve
- dried chilli flakes, to serve
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Cook the fennel, onion and garlic until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, basil, mint and reserved fennel fronds and stir to combine.
- Pour in the broth and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Reduce to a gentle simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Using a high-speed or hand-held blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- Serve topped with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, a sprinkle of lemon zest and some chilli flakes.