October, 2019 // recipes
This flavoursome anti-inflammatory soup is a quick and easy one-pot dish full of nourishing vegetables and broth. Fennel boasts calming and anti-spasmodic properties and is wonderful for digestive health. And the herbs aren’t just there to brighten the dish – basil contains powerful plant compounds including eugenol, citronellol and linalool that have been shown to help reduce gut inflammation...
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small or medium fennel bulb, trimmed, thickly sliced, fronds reserved
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 450g (about 3 medium) zucchini (courgettes), thickly sliced
- 2 handfuls basil
- 2 handfuls mint
- 1⁄1 litre (4 cups) homemade Vegetarian Broth or chicken Bone Broth, or store-bought stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus zest to serve
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- extra-virgin olive oil, to serve
- dried chilli flakes, to serve
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Cook the fennel, onion and garlic until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, basil, mint and reserved fennel fronds and stir to combine.
- Pour in the broth and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Reduce to a gentle simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Using a high-speed or hand-held blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- Serve topped with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, a sprinkle of lemon zest and some chilli flakes.
Visit The Digest for more beauty and wellbeing inspiration.
The Beauty Chef GUT GUIDE
Delicious recipes for radiant skin, gut health and wellbeing.