Creamy Mushroom, Pea and Mint Spaghetti
As a child, carbonara was my favourite pasta sauce, but it wasn’t kind to my tummy. I originally included this recipe in The Beauty Chef Cookbook as it is one of my family's favourite comfort meals and is so simple to make.
You will barely notice the coconut, but its creaminess complements the mushrooms and peas, which are a great source of energy-giving B vitamins. The mint adds a delightful, fresh flavour.
- 500g gluten-free spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 purple shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 350g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 11⁄2 cups (375ml) coconut cream
- 1⁄4 cup (25g) savoury yeast flakes
- 1⁄2 cup (70g) frozen peas
- 1 small handful chives, cut into batons, plus extra to garnish
- 1 small handful mint leaves, thinly sliced
- Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place a large saucepan of water over high heat and bring to the boil.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions, or until al dente.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over low heat. Cook the shallots and garlic, until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden brown.
- Add the coconut cream and yeast flakes, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer. Add the peas and cook for 30 seconds. Add the chives and mint and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta.
- Add the pasta to the prepared sauce and stir through to coat.
- Serve hot, topped with additional chives and black pepper.