One of The Beauty Chef’s favourite salads.
Buckwheat noodles are an excellent source of collagen building manganese and copper as well as rutin, a bioflavonoid that not only helps to boost and maintain capillary health but it helps the body stabilise vitamin C and use it in collagen production. Hence, why we’ve paired the noodles with vitamin C rich pumpkin and plum. Plus, they taste so good together!
For additional flavour and nourishment, you can always count on miso for its rich, earthy flavour and for aiding digestion, as well as umeboshi plum, an ancient fermented Japanese medicinal food with a salty, piquant flavour, used traditionally for healing imbalances in the body – found at most health food stores.
– Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons white (Shiro) miso paste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 11⁄2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 500g pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed and cut into 1cm-thick slices
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 200g packet buckwheat noodles
- 3 umeboshi plums, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 large handful coriander leaves, torn
- 1⁄4 cup (60ml) tamari
- 1⁄4 cup (60ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place a large wire rack on a large baking tray.
- Blend the miso paste, 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of the sesame seeds together in a medium bowl. Add the pumpkin and toss to coat.
- Arrange the pumpkin slices on the rack. Roast for 15-20 minutes, until softened and caramelised.
- Meanwhile heat the remaining oil in a medium frying pan over low heat. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until caramelised. Set aside.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil.
- Cook the buckwheat noodles, according to the packet instructions, or until al dente.
- Drain and refresh in iced water. Drain.
- To prepare the dressing, place the tamari, lemon juice and sesame oil in a jar and seal with a lid. Shake to combine.
- To assemble, place the noodles, roasted pumpkin, caramelised onion, umeboshi plums, coriander and remaining sesame seeds in a large bowl and toss to combine. Pour over the dressing and toss to coat.
To find more nourishing recipes from The Beauty Chef Cookbook, click here.
The post Buckwheat noodles, miso-roasted pumpkin & umeboshi plum salad appeared first on The Beauty Chef.