It's that time of year when we bring out our woollens and wrap up against the season's harsh weather. Winter is also often a time for reflection, and for us here at The Beauty Chef, it's the first moment we've had to stop and take a breath over the past few months. At The Beauty Chef HQ, it's been a non-stop whirlwind of activity, from the successful launch of HYDRATION, COLLAGEN and ANTIOXIDANT (our new range of Inner Beauty Boost's) to globetrotting in Bologna and The Big Apple, all in the name of bringing our brand of 'living beauty' to the world. This month sees the launch of CLEANSE Inner Beauty Powder, a new and improved formula based on our former DETOX Inner Beauty Powder. We are also excited to announce that BODY Inner Beauty Powder will shortly be available in Vanilla as well as Chocolate - we'll have more news of when you can get your hands on that soon. Plus we're working on a few new ideas we know you'll love, but more of that in the coming monthsâ€¦ In the meantime, I hope your skin enjoys this month's all natural Amazing Face Mask recipe (with CLEANSE for extra skin benefits), learn how to deal with dry winter skin, take inspiration from one of my favourite ladies (my mum) and enjoy our special CLEANSE offer. Enjoy!
Since we launched our Inner Beauty Boost's in March, the response has been phenomenal! From press, like those featured on our media page to bloggers (thanks @beauticate, @jengoesgreen, @maxmade to name but a few) loving the new products, to great feedback and praise from you, our customers (who tell us that when they combine the Boosts with GLOW, the results are out of this world!). We are so pleased that people are enjoying the new products and seeing great skin benefits and we want to thank you all for the high praise. It's this kind of positivity that keeps us inspired in The Beauty Chef office. March and April saw The Beauty Chef jet off to Europe and the USA to introduce the world to what we do and why we do it. The response to our products at the prestigious Cosmoprof trade fair in Bologna was overwhelming and we hope that fans of our products in the Northern Hemisphere will be able to have easier access to our unique range of Inner Beauty products in the near future. * We were also thrilled to have the opportunity to host an event at @capbeautydaily in Manhattan, New York, where we served up GLOW smoothies and talked about the link between gut health and outer beauty. In fact the event was so successful that Glow was named the number 1 product at @capbeautydaily and was featured in The New York Times *Be sure to follow us on Instagram @thebeautychef and like our Facebook page so you never miss out on events and competitions. * Have a look at Net-A-Porter's The Edit this month, which included The Beauty Chef founder Carla Oates as a Skincare Innovator - read more here. Also thank you to Prevention magazine, which featured The Beauty Chef Dream Repair Serum in its March edition - you can read the article on our website if you missed it (and we hope you took advantage of the free Dream Repair Serum that came with the Mother's Day Goodness Me Box). And did you see Country Road's mother/daughter Mother's Day campaign, which featured Carla and her beautiful daughter Jeet? You can see it here if you missed it. * And last but not least, we are saying goodbye to our DETOX Inner Beauty Powder and replacing it with a new and improved CLEANSE formula. It contains all the DETOX ingredients with added cleansing greens, digestive enzymes and fibre; it's the perfect way to kick-start your way to beautiful skin from the inside out. And for a limited time, you can purchase the power packed combination of Cleanse and Antioxidant for a special price - see Special Offer for details.
AMAZING CLEANSING FACE MASK
This simple but effective do it yourself mask uses our latest Inner Beauty Powder CLEANSE to help remove toxins and give your skin a shot of free radical fighting antioxidants. In addition to the prebiotics and probiotics in CLEANSE and in yoghurt that help balance the skinâ€™s natural flora, the digestive enzymes will help refine the skin and keep it feeling soft and radiant.
1/8 teaspoon Cleanse Inner Beauty Powder 2 teaspoons natural yoghurt 1 teaspoons of white clay
Note: If your skin starts to feel a burning sensation, remove mask.
To celebrate the launch of CLEANSE Inner Beauty Powder (a new formula based on our former DETOX powder), we have a LIMITED OFFER exclusive to The Beauty Chef VIP customers. Purchase CLEANSE and ANTIOXIDANT for a special price of $80. Offer expires Sunday 7th June 2015. Simply click here and enter the discount codeword CLEANSE at the checkout to purchase.
INSPIRED BY: Carolyn Oates
Every day, we here at The Beauty Chef are inspired by the achievements of women all over the world. From female politicians, activists and agitators for equality, to women who have smashed the glass ceiling to become leaders in the world of business, we salute the role models who are innovating, pushing boundaries and paving the way for all of us. But sometimes the most important inspiration comes from those close to home, and with Mother's Day fresh in our minds, we turn this month to Carolyn Oates, ex-model, ex-fashion magazine editor and mother of The Beauty Chef founder Carla Oates who says, â€œMy mum is an inspiration; she is very brave, beautiful, so very kind and generous. She is such a lively, positive spark to all of those around her. She has always given both my sister and I and all of her grandchildren unconditional love, we are very lucky! Here, she shares with us her own inspirations and reveals what keeps her young at heart.
1. What is the best piece of beauty advice you've ever received? You are what you eat. The other piece of advice I live by and apply to both beauty and fashion: less is more!
2. Your daughter Carla tells us that travel is important to you - which is your favorite city and why? Paris. I feel I've lived there in another life - it fits like a glove! On a par is the Cappadocia region in central Turkey. It's an absolutely incredible place - think friendly people, mountain dwellings, donkey's carrying water, Kilim rugs everywhere. Life is so simple.
3. Carla is known as 'The Beauty Chef' - was cooking an important part of your family life? I've never liked following a recipe and I think Carla inherited my knack for throwing interesting flavours and spices together with healthy ingredients and making it work. It's funny, I didn't encourage either of my girls to cook, as I didn't want to tackle the mess, but they are both great at it - it must be in the genes! As for me, I love cooking and especially love using beautiful ingredients, like fresh seafood and organic healthy vegetables. I make great crab pasta using homemade spaghettini, good quality Italian extra-virgin olive oil, fresh garlic and chilli, a splash of white wine and a slurp of cream. Throw it all together and eat straight away - yum!
4. Who is your greatest inspiration? My family - being a part of this wonderful collection of individuals is a dream come true. My daughters are beautiful women of substance and my grandchildren never fail to inspire me - I love watching them grow into interesting, grounded, happy, slightly eccentric adults. My sons-in-law are fabulous men and my husband, known to the grandchildren as 'Papa John', always keeps me guessing.
As you might have noticed, we've retired our DETOX Inner Beauty Powder and replaced it with a new formula called CLEANSE. It contains the same ingredients as DETOX, only we have added even more goodness. With the addition of more healing and cleansing herbs and an exclusive phyto-greens blend including bio-fermented spirulina, we've also added digestive enzymes to the mix to help balance the gut, assist digestion and support the body's natural detoxification processes. But what are digestive enzymes and why are they important? And which ones did we add to CLEANSE?
Before we tackle the big questions, let's go back to the basics. When we eat food, our body has to break it down into nutrient components. So everything we eat, whether it's meat, fish, eggs, bread, vegetables, nuts, dairy... all has to be broken down into nutrient components: sugars from carbohydrates, fatty acids and cholesterol from fats and amino acids from proteins, plus vitamins and minerals. Digestive enzymes, which are produced in the pancreas, small intestine, stomach and saliva glands, are the key to breaking down our food into nutrients so our body can absorb the food's goodness. Without them, our body would literally be starved of nutrients.
There are lots of things that can lower the efficiency of our digestive enzymes, including illness, stress, celiac disease, food allergies, candida, parasites, low stomach acid, leaky gut, a poor diet, hurried eating and more. One way to help build up these enzymes and restore good gut function and flora is to choose whole food diets that eliminate processed foods and sugars. Another is to eat fermented food, which helps good gut bacteria to flourish. Alternatively, you can supplement with digestive enzymes.
As everyone's gut is unique, a mix of enzymes is best - in our new CLEANSE formula, we've included a unique blend of naturally occurring amylase (which turns starches into sugars), protease (which turns proteins into amino acids), lipase (which turns lipids into fatty acids and glycerol), lactase (which breaks down lactose) and cellulose (which turns cellulose from plants into beta-glucose, or low GI sugars). By following the diet and lifestyle guidelines set out in our 14-Day Skin Cleanse eBook (available on the website next week), and taking CLEANSE daily, we hope to help you build up your store of digestive enzymes and get you in shape on the inside so you glow on the outside. Because beauty begins in the belly...
Q: It's only May and my skin already feels a bit dry and dull. Do you have any tips for beating the winter skin blues?
A: Winter is a tricky time. As the weather cools down, we turn up the heat, eat stodgier food, drink more warming cups of tea and coffee and maybe indulge in the extra warming glass of red wine. But your skin doesn't have to pay the price for these dehydrating cold-weather comforts if you take a two-pronged attack and address what's happening to your body on the inside as well as the outside. Here are four ways to get radiant skin that glows brighter than winter sun.
1. Maintain hydration: Keep your skin hydrated by using less water on the outside of your body and consuming more water on the inside. Showering less and keeping water temp down (even though its tempting to turn up the heat in winter) helps keep the sebacious oil glands balanced. Drinking more water keeps your skin cells plump and skin smooth as well as oxygenated as water carries nutrients and oxygens to the body's cells.
2. Go green. For glowing, supple skin, getting enough greens in your diet is the way to go: spinach, kale and broccoli are delicious and bursting with the phytonutrient lutein (which boosts skin hydration and elasticity and protects skin from UV damage), are packed with vitamins C, E, B vitamins and K (great for skin repair and hydration), antioxidants (to mop up free radicals and protect collagen from degradation) and beta-carotene (pro-vitamin A, essential for healthy skin). Alternatively, a scoop of our CLEANSE super-greens powder gives you a potent serve of green goodness that includes a unique fermented phtyo-greens blend plus fermented spirulina to promote a happy gut and healthy skin. Or for super charged results add HYDRATION Inner Beauty Boost to your regime as well for a hit of probiotics and inner-to-outer hydration.
3. Red alert. While greens always get a good rap, red foods are full of the carotenoid lycopene, which can help to keep your skin smooth. A study in the European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics found that people with higher levels of lycopene had smoother skin, so munch on tomatoes, carrots and red capsicums to your heart's content. Pink grapefruit, watermelon and guavas are also good options, but harder to come by in the winter months. And don't forget berries and cherries - packed with anthocyanins, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, acerola cherries, acai, goji, noni and maqui berries help fight free radicals and improve blood-vessel function, as does our GLOW Inner Beauty Powder and ANTIOXIDANT Inner Beauty Boost drink - both of which taste delicious, aren't season-dependent and available all year round.