December, 2017 // recipes
Making baked fish is so easy and never fails to impress. Chermoula, a herb, spice and oil marinade, originates from North Africa and there are many different variations, depending on the region.
- 1 x 2-2.2kg OR 2 x 700-800g whole barramundi
Preserved lemon and herb salad
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 -1 spice preserved lemon, thinly sliced lengthways
- 3 large handfuls coriander leaves
- 2 large handfuls flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large handful mint leaves
- 2 long red chillies, seeded and thinly sliced lengthways
- Juice of 1⁄2 lime
- 1⁄4 cup (60ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4cm knob of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- To make the chermoula paste, place all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Rinse the barramundi under cold running water, removing any remaining scales. Pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Score the fish twice in the thickest part near the head to ensure even cooking. Place the fish in a large non- reactive dish and coat in chermoula paste, filling the cavity and cuts where it has been scored. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cut sheets of foil large enough to wrap and enclose your fish. Line the foil with baking paper and lay the fish on top. If cooking two small fish create two separate parcels. Wrap and enclose in foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes if cooking 1 large fish or 15 minutes if cooking two smaller fish, or until cooked through and the flesh flakes easily.
- Meanwhile to prepare the preserved lemon and herb salad, combine the red onion, preserved lemon, coriander, parsley, mint and chilli in a medium bowl. Squeeze over the lime juice and toss to coat.
- To serve, transfer the fish onto large serving plates and scatter with preserved lemon and herb salad.
Looking for more recipe inspiration? Download our FREE Belly Beautiful e-Book, filled with snack and smoothie recipes for inner and outer beauty.
Visit The Digest for more beauty and wellbeing inspiration.