February, 2016 // recipes
Bircher muesli is a great way to start your day as it is packed full of fibre and skin-boosting goodness and it tastes great too. Fibre cleanses the bowels (good gut health is the basis of clear skin); while oats provide silica, which helps to maintain skin elasticity, and dates are a rich source of skin-rejuvenating minerals, including the beauty mineral potassium and A, C, K and B vitamins.
Chia seeds and linseeds are rich in omega-3s, which help moisturise the skin from the inside, while sunflower seeds are a great source of skin-rejuvenating vitamin E. Sheep’s yoghurt is full of good bacteria, which promotes digestive health and can improve the look of your skin. If you don’t feel like making the honey labne, a simple dollop of plain yoghurt is just as lovely. Add nuts or grated apple for extra crunch.
- 2 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup ground almonds or almond meal
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 dates - chopped
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 grated green apple
- 500g sheep's-milk yoghurt
- 50g honey, or to taste
- Combine all Bircher Muesli ingredients. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Stir the yoghurt and honey to taste in a bowl to combine, then tip into a muslin-lined sieve over a bowl to drain overnight (discard the liquid.)
- Serve the Bircher muesli dolloped with a little honey labne, watermelon and mint leaves.
Visit The Digest for more beauty and wellbeing inspiration.